Moong Dal Dosa or Pesarattu Dosa
Pesarattu Dosa or Moong Dal Dosa is a popular breakfast recipe of Andhra Pradesh. This is a healthy & nutritious Dosa variety. Vegan as well as Gluten free.
PREP TIME :7 hours COOK TIME : 30 mins TOTAL TIME : 7 hours 30 mins
RECIPE TYPE: breakfast CUISINE: Andhra cuisine SERVES: 4
(measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
For the dosa batter:
- 2 cups green moong beans
- 1 green chilly, chopped
- ½ inch piece ginger, chopped
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing (optional)
- ¼ tbsp rice flour
- ¼ cup chopped coriander/cilantro leaves (optional)
- salt as required
For the topping
- 1 finely chopped onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped (optional)
- a few sprigs of chopped coriander/cilantro leaves
- oil or ghee for frying the dosa
- Firstly, pick and rinse the moong beans.
- Then soak the moong beans overnight in enough water.
- Drain and add the moong beans along with the rest of the ingredients mentioned above for the batter.
- Add some water and grind into a smooth paste.
- Remove the batter in a bowl or pan.
- Stir in the rice flour and mix well.
- On a griddle or flat pan, smear a little oil/ghee.
- With a big spoon, pour the dosa batter on the griddle and use the same spoon for spreading the moong dal dosa batter into a round shape.
- Pour some oil on the sides and in the center of the dosa.
- Sprinkle the finely chopped onion, green chilies and coriander leaves.
- Press these with the spatula so that they get stuck to the batter which is getting cooked.
- Flip and cook both sides a couple of times till crisp and browned.
- Serve the Moong Dal Dosa or Pesarattu hot with Upma and Coconut Chutney.
This Pesarattu dosa can also be made with spilt green gram or sprouted moong.
Instead of adding rice flour, you can also make ground both soaked rice and moong beans together.
The moong dal dosa can be had plain too. You can serve the Pesarattu dosa with tomato ketchup too.